Monday, April 1, 2019

Some more cut coins

I recently bought a few more cut coins. The first two pics were sold as cut Roman coins. It looks like most are Roman Imperial, but there is little to see on most of them. Based on the coin flans, I think a few are RR cut Asses. The only partial attributed is a coin of Severus Alexander with someone standing on the back in the lower left hand corner. I may try soaking a few to remove some of the dirt. You can see just shaking the coins dislodged some dirt / rust that shows as spots on the 2nd pic.
Note that there are neat 1/2 coins, a few 1/4 coins and several that look like they were cut into 1/3rds. At least one looks like a seal, but I will not know until I do a SpGr test.



I thought my less than full coin binge was done until I received an email from a dealer closing shop. The closest to my collecting area are the two below.

Half As Nimes crocodile and Augustus
As de Nimes; fractured half for change in antiquity for use as change.
Nicely transacted to preserve the crocodile and the portrait of Augustus.
6.32 g.13.9 x 25.3 cm.
Roman Lode on V-Coins, 3/30/19

Worn half As de Nimes
Worn half As de Nimes
6.26g, 13.1 x 26.3mm.
Roman Lode on V-Coins, 3/30/19

My next coin will be uncut, or exceptional.


No comments:

Post a Comment