Thursday, April 25, 2024

Roman scale weights with two denomination marks.

 I won one and lost one Roman scale weight with two denomination marks in the last month. I have seen severeal over time, but this is only the second one in my collection. 

First my win.


Roman Square Bronze Weight with one uncia (- I) and six solidus (SOL ζ) marks of value

Obverse: above - I / SOL/ - S –

Reverso: blank

25.34 Grams

24.65 x 24.38 x 5.48 mm

In the same auction I won a lot with 4N and 12N weights.



Mixed lot 2 Roman round bronze scale weights.

 4 Nomisma (No Δ)

17.21 grams

24 dia x 5.5 mm

 

12 Nomisma (No IB)

50.08 grams

36.5 x 7 mm

This weight sold recently for 10 times what my one ounce weight cost.


Roman bronze scale weight, square with silver inlay. The weight has two denomination marks: 36 solidi and 36 nomisma.

Obverse – No ΛS above and SOL XXXς below; border of squares

Rev: Blank

163.4 grams

41 mm


I have a bronze 2 uncia barrel weight. I have shown it before.








No comments:

Post a Comment