Saturday, May 25, 2024

NYINC 2024

 

The 2024 New York International Numismatic Convention had a wide variety of interesting items. I tell my wife that attending this show is a bit like visiting a zoo. I can feed the elephants, but can not bring them home. This year was a bit different. A few elephants came home with me.

I collect Italian Cast Bronze money, Roman scale weights and Roman Republican coins. I found at least one of each, plus a few more.

I was impressed with these Greco-Baktrian Kingdom Tetradrachms with an elephant headress at the first table I visited. They did not come home, but I did get a close look at them.

A Christ portrait gold coin is on my wish list. One auction had several of these.

Other auctions had several large cast bronze asses. I have a couple of these and did not bid on this one. It hammered for about twice what I paid for both of mine.

CNG’s Triton XXVII had several interesting coins. Two cast bronze coins caught my eye. I bid on both, was the under-bidder on one and not close on the other. I did hold both. I met the winners of both coins. Top coin - Minerva Bull TV43
Bottom  coin - Apollo Apollo TV8
 

I had to settle for the one uncia size fragment of this coin I have had for several years.
 
This coin hammered while I was flying. I bid on on my phone and was the under bidder. 

 
Roman Republican Anonymous Æ Aes Grave As Circa 270 BC. 
Libral standard. Rome mint. 
Obv - Diademed head of Apollo right | (mark of value) above; all on raised disk 
Rev - Diademed head of Apollo left; | (mark of value) above; all on raised disk. 
Crawford 18/1; TV8; ICC 33; HN Italy 279; RBW 20. 
Green patina, light roughness, minor deposits, edge casting flaw. VF. Impressive cast in high relief. Rare. (67 x 25 mm, 319.00 g, 12h). I was the underbidder in Triton, but found an excellent example in the bourse!



AS Grave AE Teruncius, TV276
APULIA, Luceria, 269-225 BC Libral series
Obv - Star of eight rays on raised disk. 
Rev - Dolphin right; above, three pellets (mark of value); below, L; all on raised disk. 
86.38 grams;  41 mm dia x 12 mm thick; 288 equivalent As


 

I found two 3 dot coins and a 3 uncia scale weight. I like to compare the size of the two 3 dot coins. The older, 260 BC, is several times as heavy as the younger coin. 210 BC. The difference is a little thing called the Punic War.
  • The struck bronze is a quadrans = 3/12ths of an As. It was struck on a semuncial standard, or one As at 1/24th of a Roman pound. Struck Quadrans RR, Struck Quadrans  Hercules / Bull, 3.24 grams from 210 BC (3 dots to indicate value). 
  • The cast bronze coin is a Tercucus - 3/10ths of the weight / money system in Luceria. It was cast on a Libral standard. Cast Tercucus, 86.38 grams from 260 BC (3 dots to indicate value). 
  • The scale weight is close to 3/12ths of a Roman pound =  81.85 g. 3 Uncia Scale Weight, 82.41 g after 4th century AD (Γ Γ to indicate value).

Constantine X Ducas, Constantinople, 1059 - 1067 AD; AU histamenon, 4.42 grams, 26 mm
Obv - +IhS IXS REX REGNANTIhm; Christ nimbate, seated facing on straight-backed throne, raising right hand in benediction and holding book of Gospels in left
Rev - +KωN RAC Λ' OΔVKAC; Constantine X standing facing, wearing crown and loros, holding labarum with his right hand and globus cruciger in his left.
Ref - DOC 1a; Sear 1847
Good extremely fine. I call the coin a full nose coin.

One Sol coin and four 1 Sol / 1 Nomisma weights


I like to show how to check the weight of a coin with a Roman coin weight. The pic above shows an IB weight = half a solidus and a billion coin of the same weight.



BAKTRIA, Greco-Baktrian Kingdom. Demetrios I Aniketos. Circa 200-185 BC. AR Tetradrachm (33mm, 17.00 g, 12h). Diademed and draped bust right, wearing elephant skin headdress / Herakles standing facing, crowning himself, holding club and lion skin; monogram to inner left Greek legend: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΔΗΜΗΤΡΙΟΥ (BASILEOS DEMETRIOU) "Of King Demetrius". 

 
ITALY, Milano (Duchi). Galeazzo Maria Sforza. 1466-1476. AR Testone (  g,  h). Milan mint; im: mitered head. Armored bust right; annulet to left; tick stops in legend / Ducal coat-of-arms surmounted by crowned helmet left, plumed with winged dragon consuming man; on either side, two buckets hanging from branch arising from flames; C3 (tick stop) to left, M to right; tick stops in legend. CNI V 58 var. (tick stop to left of M); Crippa 6/A. G. Attractive Renaissance portrait.



I like the coins of Milan because of their coat of arms. It has a dragon / snake eating a man. When I show coins to YNs they seem to like this reverse. I have a pre WWII patch with the same logo.

No comments:

Post a Comment